Monday, October 31, 2011

tomato soup

Because A, had his procedure a few days ago this allowed me to dive into my soup recipes again.  Before me, my lovely husband only knew canned tomato soup with a can of green beans and a can of corn mixed together and served.  I must admit he has made this for me a few times after we got married, but never again after I learned from my mom how easy it is to make fresh tomato soup.















tomato soup

8-10 tomatoes (i had frozen tomatoes from my mom)
2 carrots, peeled and cut into a few pieces
ginger, 1 tbsp shredded
1 cup, greek yogurt (for extra protein!)
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp jeeru (cumin seeds)
1 tsp red chili powder or garam masala
2 tsp dhanajeeru (cumin powder)
s&p

With a pressure cooker, cook the tomatoes and carrot with a 1 cup of water for approximately 8-10 minutes.  Turn off heat and let the cooker release pressure for about 10 minutes.  In another large pot, over medium high heat, place the butter and jeeru until fragrant.  Add ginger.  Then add the tomato/carrot mixture into the pot.  Add 4 cups of water and blend with an immersion blender.  You can choose to drain the soup through a sieve to remove the seeds and fibers, but I opted not to.  Add s&p and rest of the spices, let simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Add greek yogurt, mix well and enjoy.  I made grilled cheese sandwiches on the side to dunk into the soup.

Serves 4 people  

No comments:

Post a Comment